What would cause a hot water cylinder surface

krames, Feb 27, 8:06am
to be colder than it usually is but the water out of the taps to be hot as normal?
Our cylinder is normally hot to touch on the surface but the last few days it has become cool to touch but tap water is hot?

aj.2., Feb 27, 8:12am
Poor insulation , you should not feel heat on the cylinder, that is costing you a lot in power, get a wrap to go around , and on top of the cylinder.
It will pay for it self in no time a all.

skin1235, Feb 27, 8:12am
it does have a layer of insulation around it, I'd be more worried as to why it is hot to touch

krames, Feb 27, 8:17am
no its normally hot to touch but now cool to touch.

aj.2., Feb 27, 8:22am
worst thought, If the outlet is leaking at the top of the cylinder, then the insulation may have got wet, and that would cool it down.

krames, Feb 27, 8:25am
oh ok ill check that thanks

skin1235, Feb 27, 8:33am
the rats that have a nest inside the wall of your cylinder have decided to enlarge their family, and have dragged heaps of the fluff from up in the ceiling to line their extra rooms
this is not a bad thing for in doing so they have replaced all the insulation that the mice that lived there before them dragged out
your power bill soon start going down

krames, Feb 27, 8:39am
have another beer

pc_uncorrect, Feb 27, 9:14am
If you live close to the sea (coastal)? check your hot water cylinder 'fuse', it may be corroded from the salt?

skin1235, Feb 27, 9:37am
oh dear, it should be cool to touch, thats how they are designed to work
the outside temperature is not effected by the temp of the water at all

if however it is hot to touch you have serious issues with the insulation
ie the insulation has broken down and you managed to feel heat from that area

but now it is cold to touch
ie more insulation from above has broken down and slid down covering the place where you used to feel heat, now it feels cold

or the rats and mice have been playing

I don't need beer to know how a hot water cylinder works but I'll take your suggestion on board, lol

skin1235, Feb 27, 9:42am
oh and chances are the power bill will not be getting smaller with the defunct insulation around the cylinder

nzjay, Feb 27, 9:58am
I would suggest it may be because the ambient air temperature is currently quite high (it's summer), and therefore so is your hand surface temperature relative to the surface of the cylinder. The lesser temperature difference is making you 'think' it's cooler.
The only way to make sure is a thermometer.

krames, Feb 27, 4:04pm
we normally hang wet clothes overnight hanging in the hot water cylinder cupboard and they gey dry over night but now they do not dry at all so it is a major difference,nothing to do with hands being warmer.

lythande1, Feb 27, 5:25pm
No. You have that backwards.
Cylinders these days ARE insulated - and therefore won't be hot to the touch.

cantabman1, May 20, 7:26pm
As you can see by all the previous posts, nobody really knows,asyou don't.
Get it checked out by a plumber.