Building a bbq. do I use fire-bricks?

agave1, Nov 21, 5:58am
Am building a small outdoor bbq - very simple - brick surround, cast-iron plate on top.
Do I have to use firebricks or can any old bricks do!e.g. external house bricks!
thanks.

aeromo, Nov 21, 6:27am
Ordinary bricks we have always used. Husband is a brickie so we have had a new one for each house. They are fine

malcovy, Nov 21, 6:53am
Yes we have a ordinary brick one made with used bricks, it's perfect.

ninya, Nov 21, 6:58am
x1
I read your first sentence with the voice of Yoda sounding in my head.

aeromo, Nov 21, 7:06am
x1
Haha oh yes, it was a bit yoda-like. Must have been a zen moment

agave1, Nov 21, 7:35am
that's fantastic, thanks all for your help.

lythande1, Nov 21, 6:08pm
Eventually ordinary bricks crack and crumble.
You can add firebricks to the bit that will have the actual fire on it. and use normal ones for the rest.

pauldw, Nov 21, 7:54pm
I've just started using an old BBQ with a concrete base to the fire. When damp the concrete explodes quite spectacularly until it dries out. I'm still working on the easiest solution.

drsr, Nov 21, 10:13pm
There are some great BBQ building guides on Youtube, this one is probably the most realistic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=OBBFzerJ1Ss

elect70, Nov 22, 4:16am
Built 2 out of concrete blocks& concrete slabno problemcan actually buy a kitsetblock BBQ

mark_g, Nov 22, 8:54am
Had one built with cinder blocks. Two blocks which the fire sat on have cracked and one has split and broken, after maybe 10 years of use. I would use fire bricks for the fire place layer and ordinary bricks for the rest.

rick, May 24, 7:10pm
i.m i brickie and have also used normal bricks for my bbq's, but came across this thread, and seeings i'm looking at building a new super grill. I've had my current grill in normal brick for 17 yrs now, and its loking a little war torn and the morter joints do take a battering. This time i will do the complete inside in fire brick with a dome, then a chimney flue for the outlet. Then clad it all in natural stone.