Trees to attract wood pigeons?

Page 1 / 2
bfinn, Sep 19, 8:47pm
Any ideas on what we could plant (long term) to attract these gorgeous birds? We had a lovely pair at our old house (about 10 minutes away lol) and I think they liked the oak there. We'll be planting kowhai here to attract more Tui and we're in a pretty quiet area that backs on to a tree laden park. so already lots of potential.

TIA :)

pisces47, Sep 19, 8:49pm
We have a few cabbage tree's they like when in flower

bfinn, Sep 19, 8:55pm
Ah yes actually we did have a cabbage tree at the old place too. Hate them lol

skyline26, Sep 19, 9:04pm
miro berry tree they love them

bfinn, Sep 19, 9:05pm
Ohhh ok, thank you! I'll keep an eye out :)

pestri, Sep 19, 9:14pm
Kowhai at this time of year. We saw 10-12 pigeons in Pukekura Pk NP yesterday all feeding in Kowhai, one being the fattest pigeon I have ever seen, bigger than a domestic chook.

valleygirl16, Sep 19, 9:41pm
I was about to say the same. We have them in ours year after year but its the buds they love so we don't end up with to many flowers but its worth it

annies3, Sep 19, 9:51pm
A neighbour just down the road has lots of beautiful big fat native pigeons they seem to love the Lucerne trees,

russ18, Sep 19, 10:09pm
Kowhai, good for wood pigeons and tuis

stompy, Sep 19, 10:24pm
Banksia.

kaddiew, Sep 19, 10:24pm
Report your sightings to the 2015 Great Kereru Count.

http://greatkererucount.nz/

dibble35, Sep 19, 10:26pm
Puriri, Tree lucerne, guava trees.

budgel, Sep 19, 11:25pm
They like loquats.

gilligee, Sep 19, 11:29pm
They love plums.

fpress, Sep 19, 11:32pm
Titoki trees. they love them. The buggers sit in the tree and swoop at me whilst I am hanging out the washing. They also like our cherry trees and Magnolia Grandiflora.

ianab, Sep 20, 1:10am
The kowhai is always a good option. It will attract tui and bellbirds as well. The Keruru don't eat the nectar like the smaller birds, they just eat the whole flowers and young tender leaves. Watching them feed is more like watching cow graze.

Another good native is Hoheria (Lacebark). It's a smallish tree with nice white flowers that also attract butterflies and bees. Again the pigeons just graze on the leaves.

Guava is another favourite as the fruit ripen in winter when other food is scarce. Once the bush gets big enough they will come and pick berries from the top, and you can pick the lower ones

Lastly, Brush Cherry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium_australe
It's an Australian species, but it has large and edible berries that the pigeons love.

The smaller trees like that are likely to get to a pigeon feeding size a lot sooner than many of the natives. I know you said a long term plan, but with with Miro and Titoki it might be a VERY long term plan. Just judging by how fast my Miro is growing anyway.

tigra, Sep 20, 4:49am
Exactly what I was going to wrtie

aj.2., Sep 20, 4:53am
Elderberry tree , they love eating the berries.
Also Chinese poplar trees , but really needs to be in an area that the wood pigeon are in any way.

maclad, Sep 20, 5:09am
They also enjoy Idesia berries

jantje, Sep 20, 6:51am
We love this beautiful bird ( should be on our flag!) We had a big pepper tree which they frequented and also ate the berries.I took a photo about 10 years ago of 6 Kereru gorging on the berries of the 5 finger(whauwhaupaku) tree.
The bird that is a big threat to the Kereru ( because of their typical flimsy nest) is the bloody Mynah. Mynah's in our garden only last for one day at the most.

meoldchina, Sep 20, 9:11am
Lucerne trees are very popular with Kereru but unfortunately they are not long lasting. However, you will be able to bring on lots of self-sewn seedlings to keep the supply chain going. It amuses me how this big, fat bird can land on a spindly branch without breaking it.

coop19, Sep 20, 10:18am
Tree Lucerne is also known as Tagasaste. Quick growing and a great firewood being a hardwood but does not like damp ground. Can be seen in many places round the country especially Manawatu, Banks Peninsular and Rimutaka Forest Park at Wainuiomata where large groups of Pigeons tear the flowering trees to pieces in their efforts to get every flower possible.

bfinn, Sep 20, 9:05pm
Wow those are some great ideas thanks folks!

Actually now I think about it we had Kowhai, plum and cabbage trees at our old house so maybe all the things they liked?
We are definitely going to plant kowhai but now I have more ideas for other varieties too. :)
We already have a couple of Tui and their song is so lovely, it would be awesome to have wood pigeons too. Our last pair were so tame, the kids loved watching them.

figjamto, Sep 20, 9:13pm
We had quite a big Guava tree in a past property. wood pigeons loved it

naturalkiwi, Sep 21, 5:24am
We have a cheeky fat one that loves our guava tree. Anything ripe that we manage to get to before him, I turn into guava jelly. Delicious! I should add that I didn't get ANY this season. We've had 3 others turn up trying to muscle in on his territory - more than our poor little tree can handle!