Plant ID.does anyone know what this is?

blaizingfire, Mar 27, 3:21am
Looks like the adult form of Hedera helix, otherwise known as ivy.
http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/u94830_2.pdf is helpful. Can be very time consuming to get rid of it.

stevee6, Mar 27, 3:48am
It's not ivy-like - it is ivy.

littlemissy1, Mar 27, 4:02am
Thanks for that, have not seen it like that before (or maybe just not noticed!) that is going to be a sh*t of a thing to get rid of *sigh*

trade4us2, Mar 27, 4:21am
I was about to plant that all over my garage.

wrinkles56, Mar 27, 10:19am
Sure is IVY and a real pain at that.

junie2, Mar 27, 9:36pm
And every one of those damned flower heads is anotherpotential bomb !

stevee6, Mar 27, 9:41pm
Start by cutting it back hard before the flowerheads turn to seed(the seed is black). Then you can find the stems at ground level, cut them apart and paint the root end with herbicide using an old paintbrush. It takes a while for the top half to die but once it starts to shrivel you can then see if you've missed any bits. Once it's died off all you need to do is strip it off the fence and watch out for new seedlings for a few years.

littlemissy1, Mar 28, 3:58am
Yip thats what I thought. Will hack it back in next couple of days and put something on it. Its going to be a mission because its a very healthy looking plant *grrr* Thing is you have to remove every little bit or it roots itself again, what a pain in the derriere! lol

littlemissy1, Mar 28, 4:00am
Noooooooooo.dont do it!

lemming2, Mar 28, 6:34am
Actually, watch out for new seedlings for probably the rest of your life . I have had my garden for 28 years, on land that was shaved bare of its original topsoil, there is NO ivy on any of the neighbours' properties, but every time I weed I find another little hopeful popping its head up!

pierina1, Mar 28, 9:59pm
You are so right! A previous owner had planted it over the water tank, took us ages to get rid of it and 10 years later I am still finding little plants coming up metres and metres away. I do wish some people would find out the habits of plants before putting them in. I have learnt the hard way!

stevee6, Mar 28, 10:00pm
The good thing is that the little plants are easy to uproot - I do it in passing. Much easier than getting all the damn oxalis bulbs *sigh*.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 30, 1:52am
Ivy goes arboreal as it matures, and becomes a tree. Those flowering heads by the way are the delight of wasps, so you serve many purposes by getting rid, or at least keeping it in adolescent creeping form. We have enough wasp food, no need to give them any more.

trade4us2, Mar 30, 4:23am
I just planted two types of ivy next to my garage. I'm sure it wil look lovely!

tui93, Mar 30, 5:23am
And some day someone else will be trying to exterminate it. Revolting stuff - in my opinion.

guest, Oct 10, 2:02pm
We really sulohd make fun of mentally deficient people more often. That'll make us all feel better about ourselves.That's your fellow man. You sulohd be helping him-not ridiculing him.

guest, Jun 1, 6:10pm
wartorahardjo Holla! Have you seen the book How to Shake the Online Poker Money Tree ? I got some extraordinary tuecniqehs from it and now play like a shark and kick butt multi-tabling without nervousness. Mar 19, 2012