Stove/oven installation in garage - Is this legal?

iwithekiwi, Mar 24, 7:51am
Thanking you in advance.

russ18, Mar 24, 8:08am
Often not practical to have a full size oven in a garage, can involve upgrading house mains and submain to garage, can cost many thousands. Have seen microwaves, small bench top ovens and lpg gas hobs in garage / sleep outs will relatively little or no additional electrical costs.

aloha3, Mar 24, 10:17am
I had an idea that having a stove in made it a independant dwelling and I know there was strict building regulations about this.
Best to check the regs further.

t_naki, Mar 24, 5:26pm
There is nothing electrically wrong with it as long as the cable and protection are properly installed.

ryanm2, Mar 24, 5:44pm
I dont think it is legal, like one of the above posters has mentioned. I know personally ive disconnected 3 ovens from dwellings as consents only allowed 1 cooking station per dwelling. 2 were in a converted sleepout that never had consent and 1 was a house that essentially had 2 kitchens.
On all 3 occasions it the ovens were removed to complete a house sale.

kaylin, Mar 24, 6:21pm
x1
I know of some indian and jewish people that have two fully equipped kitchens in their house. Vegetarian one and a meat one.

mm12345, Mar 24, 7:27pm
That's how I understand it too.Perhaps there are exceptions made for situations as kaylin suggests, preparation of kosher or halal food etc. but I guess in such cases two ovens in one kitchen would usually do the trick.

My neighbour had to remove an oven, and also a kitchen sink from an attached flat that was never consented properly when the house was built 30 years ago.Council got very dirty about it when they applied for consent to do some minor alterations.The flat was only ever used for house guests.

nitronz, Mar 24, 9:38pm
I had a fully wired stove/oven in my garage at my other house, I put it in to make my soap etc

mrfxit, Mar 24, 11:23pm
I suspect it's a grey area if the stove is on it's own but council consents/permits/ osh etc etc will call it illegal for sure if you install plumbing (shower/ sink etc) as well because then it's clear that it has been or is being used as a "live in area/ self contained accommodation".
Regardless, it would need to be installed correctly.

andrew1954, Mar 25, 1:58am
I would think you can install an oven / stove were ever you like, as along as the electrics can cope with it,the problem is what use you put the area to after the install. I installed an oven in my shed / workshop for use as a powercoating oven. "did not have to involve a little man from the counci with a clipboard" !

lindylambchops1, Mar 25, 2:45am
Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy!I would certainly you check this out with your Local Council.Neighbour of mine converted garage into bedroom & it had to be lined & insulated etc.

aloha3, Mar 25, 5:33am
I think you will find this not legal without permits and will probably make your homeowners insurance worthless.

iwithekiwi, Mar 25, 7:10am
Thanks so much people, you have all been a great help.

mrfxit, Mar 25, 8:00am
Grey area, as in technically yes it needs to be permitted (whatever) which can involve a few other permits (whatever), but as long as it's the only part of a std kitchen fitted (& professionally connected) then the council etc very probably won't do anything about it.
IF . it's been professionally connected & surrounding walls/ fitmentsetc comply with fire standards, then insurance claims won't be a problem

guest, Oct 10, 1:34am
By 2012e5b9b412e69c883e697a5 - 1:05 AMComment Arondir Ses Fins De Mois, Gagner De L Argent Facile ET Devenir Riche Sur InternetCOMMENT ARRONDIR SES FINS DE MOIS, GAGNER DE L ARGENT FACILEMENT ET DEVENIR RICHE SUR INTERNET RAPIDEMENT GUIDE GRATUIT ! Bonjour, Si votre plus grand souhait est de faire fornute sur le web, alors vous efbfbdtes arrivefbfbd au bon endroit et au bon moment

guest, Oct 11, 8:34am
By 2012e5b9b47e69c8820e697a5 - 1:13 PMI have been trying to acces this site for a while. I was using IE7 then when I tried Firefox, it wokred simply fine? just wanted to bring this to your attention. This is in actuality a excellent site. I have a bunch myself. I actually love your layout. I recognize this is off topic but,did you yield this site yourself,or buy from somewhere.

guest, Jun 5, 10:49am
Gas ranges in garages are very dangerous due to the open flames. most inspectors will not permit kitchenette. one main code calls for garage doors to be sealed. all electrical and plumbing must be done to code. ventilation is another big obstacle and must be done correctly. I have installed many wIth and without permits. suggestions contact your insurance comp carrier for specifics, most will not cover cover damages caused by stoves . in garages. especially gas ranges. consider electric, there safer and easier to install 220 power than to run new gas lines. anyone desiring more information on this subject can contact me via dlwhms1122@gmail.com