Plants for a patio

wilco65, Mar 26, 12:44am
Hi
I have a long planter box built into my patio. It is about 50cm deep, 30cm across and 2m long. I will need to plant into pots or tubs placed inside the planter as I can't fill it with soil. There is good drainage. Our house is an old villa and I would like something in keeping.

I would like to plant something ornamental that is pretty and stylish. I had considered roses but don't think there is enough room. I don't like the smell of buxus or I would go for pruned and shaped buxus bushes.

I like shrubs and nearby we have proteas, ferns and a wisteria. I have also considered having seasonally changing plants such as tulips, pansies etc. Height wise I don't want the shrub to be higher than 60cm above the planter, so about 70cm in total.

Any ideas and suggestions! Thanks!

tourer100, Mar 26, 2:03am
How about some herbs, easy access to the kitchen too.

stevee6, Mar 26, 2:49am
Pot up annuals and bulbs for winter - primulas, mini daffodils, polyanthus etc and sink the pots in the planter box. In spring, change over to mesclun lettuce in different colours, maybe some herbs for summer.

wilco65, Mar 26, 2:52am
nice ideas with herbs etc but I have an extensive veggie garden and really want this area to be more "pretty" or onamental

daleaway, Apr 29, 3:01pm
This year we experimented with impatiens in red and white in pots across the front of the house. Worked brilliantly. Could work for you. Their long flowering period is a great bonus.
Don't get the New Guinea hybrids, they won't like Chch winters.
You could interplant with bulbs as stevee suggests, for late winter/spring colour.