Griselinia - Kapuka Hedge dying

regang, Mar 19, 3:17am
x1
We have had this long hedge in about 2-3 years. It has grown really well. Was well fertilised with slow release osmacote when we planted it, and has since had quite a few rounds of "worm tea". We lost a few random trees about a year ago and replanted them. Now a few of the new trees (that have been in around a year) have also curled up their toes. Wilted leaves, black stems, eventually black leaves. Any ideas! I should mention when we re-planted we replaced as much of the soil as possible. I've seen quite a few examples of this happen around Auckland. Does anyone know what the cause is and what can we do to prevent it! Thanks heaps

spiritofgonzo, Mar 19, 3:53am
did you water it over the long hot summer!

trah, Mar 19, 6:36am
Drought.Griselinia seems susceptible - the first things to go when it gets dry.

dibble35, Mar 19, 7:57am
phytothora - wilting, black stems, dieback, poor root growth or dead roots . If its in a badly drained area, or been overwatered it could be this, Gris's are very susceptible, theres another thread on this at the moment.

koru67, Mar 19, 8:55am
Well you would not be the only one to have a dying griselinia hedge in Auckland due to the dry weather. I live near Stonefields and alot of the griselinia hedges in that suburb (2-4 years old) are dying, plus a little gem magnolia hedge - dead. The griselinia hedges on Lunn Ave outside the commercial properties are also struggling, but they do not appear to have any watering at all. Our griselinia hedge is still thriving, but yes I have watered it a couple of times this year when it was looking stressed. Not as often as I have in the previous couple of years when it was establishing itself. Yes supposedly they are susceptible to a disease as above especially in Auckland.

secretmissy1, Apr 1, 11:22pm
I totally agree with the above very common as grisilinia a coastal lovers (which means they can handle some dry once established) this season is rampant with phytophera.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 2, 5:49am
There's a difference between 'handling some dry' and the driest summer in 70+ years.Could be too wet, more likely to be too dry I would think.

guest, May 25, 3:08am
x1
phytophora is what is causing this, once the ground gets too dry and the plant looks stressed its too late the fungus has got in, water them every so often in the dry months, if you really want to make sure spray them with foschek every 2 weeks as well