Painting a new fence.

kahnyae, Feb 18, 5:31am
So the time has come to paint the fence, have fence paint with a primer so can just get on with it, question is whats the easiest way to do the first coat! By hand with a brush is taking forever lol as fence is just soaking up the paint majorly! Or do we just have to suck it up and go for it! Thanks in advance :)

spiritofgonzo, Feb 18, 5:39am
just do it

ninya, Feb 18, 5:55am
We just stained our fence and couldn't believe how much the wood soaked it up!We used a roller, with a brush to get in the gaps - much quicker than brush alone.

kp11, Feb 18, 5:58am
Get a wee roller a bit smaller than the width of the pailings.Look for cheapie ones - handle & set of 3 rollers for less than $10.00 from placemakers / Mitre 10 etc.
I just finished mine a few weeks back.
Good Luck!
(Pick up some epsom salts for the bath afterwards, your back will need it) :)

hort1, Feb 18, 6:52am
Hire a airless sprayer all over rover in no time a far better finish.

geoff_m, Feb 18, 6:54am
Second the airless spray if you have any quantity to do - at least 10x faster.

kahnyae, Feb 18, 9:30am
Does the sprayer use alot more paint! We have a HUGE fence so liking the idea of it being over and done with fast lol

hort1, Feb 19, 4:22am
Yes it uses more paint but I can assure you after using an airless sprayer you will not worry that you had to buy a few litres more. I find I get around 8 square mtr's a ltr

kahnyae, Feb 19, 9:15am
Cool thank you definitely sounds like the way to go :)

kcc55a, Feb 19, 8:00pm
Using a sprayer means using thinner paint which will not only be absorbed in more but will need to be done again within a couple of years.

mikee6, Feb 19, 8:50pm
Some people hose down their fence first to stop it soaking up so much paint.myself, I like the natural look, if it gets tagged I just buff it off with my drill.

1benp, Feb 20, 4:00am
This is not true you don't know what your talking about!

hort1, Feb 20, 7:03am
You are right 1benp you do not have to thin the paint. The only thing I do is strain it to to stop blockages then drop it in the pail and away you go, only way to go.

jkp58, Feb 20, 8:11am
as fast as airless spraying

comadi, Mar 16, 7:43am
Spray painting doe's not work the paint into the grain and crevices where timber is nailed together, so whilst it is quicker it, can never equal a hand brush job.
Hard work yes, but done properly will out last any other method.