I have huge swan plants but no sign of caterpillar

garmisch1, Feb 21, 1:43am
Does anybody around Kapiti have too many caterpillars for their plants!

stevee6, Feb 21, 1:53am
Only seen a few butterflies around. No plants so no caterpillars this year.

dibble35, Feb 21, 2:20am
plenty of butterflies in whangarei, although less caterpillars than 2 months ago

kaddiew, Feb 21, 3:42am
I see monarchs most days here in P'ram, and there have been waiting lists for swan plants at the garden centres, so someone may see your thread.

dibble35, Feb 21, 4:57am
Yeah I work at a garden centre and every week we get people in as their plants have been stripped and they're desperate for more. Lucky we have a good supplier of plants

russ18, Feb 21, 6:37pm
We've had lots in Lowe Hutt, had around 20 developed into butterflies so far and there are a heap more eggs have just be deposited. At one point the plants were stripped bare.

dlightful, Feb 21, 6:57pm
Heaps in Wanganui too - had to take heaps of eggs off our five plants or they wouldn't have had enough to eat .

cantabman1, Feb 21, 7:19pm
We have had less than 10 caterpillars so far with two hatched B/flys in Christchurch.

dibble35, Feb 21, 7:55pm
I got a text from my sister this morn, my nephew has got some plants growing and going out every day to check on the 3 caterpillars,this morn they had all disappeared, wasps got them maybe as they wernt big enough to turn into chrysilisis yet, i've got some spare caterpillars i can give him but I suggested they cover them with netting.

russ18, Feb 21, 8:01pm
Ours are against a fence, we put netting around the bottom to stop the chickens from taking an interest in them.

helsbelsnz, Feb 22, 1:29am
Are you still looking for caterpillars, garmisch!We're in Paraparaumu and our plants are bare

garmisch1, Feb 22, 5:42am
Hey that sounds great. Did I get some from you a couple of years ago!

helsbelsnz, Feb 22, 7:24am
I don't think so, but you'd be welcome to some now!They are chewing their way through the seed pods.Are you available anytime tomorrow!

garmisch1, Feb 22, 11:37pm
I will be up there on Sunday. will send you an email

garmisch1, Feb 22, 11:38pm
I mean text. Do ypu live on the hill side of the reilway tracks!

mottly, Feb 23, 6:02am
the wasps are out in full force - they wipe the caterpillars out within weeks.We had thousands on our swan plants up until two weeks ago - the wasps have eaten the lot :(

brightlights60, Feb 23, 10:09am
We have a huge plant with 2 eggs on it, not doing anything. I suspect the plant (came from a nursery) has been sprayed.

curlcrown, Feb 24, 12:16am
Wasps are probably killing them.

speedy_11, Feb 24, 12:37am
praying mantis kill the caterpillars too.

liggy2, Mar 20, 6:09pm
Plenty here in Levin they have demolished my plants.