Feijoa flowers

teataiti, Feb 23, 5:40am
should feijoa trees have those red flowers yet. have no luck with the trees I have. they grow tall but don't fruit .

mottly, Feb 23, 5:54am
they should be finished, with 1/2 grown fruit.!We've got one that's like that - think it might be a 'hedge' variety!

teataiti, Feb 23, 6:01am
Yes I think you may be right re hedge,was here when we came. grows quickly and there is a row of them, they have had about six feijoas on a season, lol.

I hope and wait every year

wheelz, Feb 23, 6:40am
I grow named variety ones, early mid and late season. That way you have feijoas coming out your ears!

wheelz, Feb 23, 6:42am
And at about $20 a tree, they very quickly pay for themselves.

obviousas, Mar 22, 8:16am
If you do not want to pay for an expensive tree, next time you go shopping buy one fruit of the each variety. Each variety produces a certain shape and flavour.
If your friend has a tree producing good tasting fruit, forage around the tree and look for small plants. They are likely to be from the tree. Dig the plants and replant in a pot until strong enough to be transplanted into the ground.
Collect as many of the tiny seeds and keep each variety separate for future reference. Most seeds replicate the fruits in shape and flavours. Also, flavours may differ if it is too dry or too wet.
It takes about two or three years to fruit in an ideal soil and location. Use a seedling mix to get more certainty of germination.
Good luck!