Need painting advice please

wheelz, Feb 26, 12:46am
My daughter has painted her 2 story rough sawn house, which was previously painted with an oil base paint or stain.she used Dulux weathershield ( I think) . I have notice it can be scratched off easily! They spent hundreds, scaffolding was required , increasing the costs. Have they made a humongous error! No primer was used. I have a horrid feeling that its all been a waste of time and money, and what next! How does one remove or cover all this!

pskpinks, Feb 26, 1:54am
With difficulty and expense.
If it was a oil based stain what prep was done! Chemical wash down, seal the stain with a oil based primer, two -three coats of top coat! That would be the minimum on a rough sawn previously stained surface. Did your daughter do the work herself! When purchasing paint did she discuss with the paint shop staff what the surface was and what probably was on the surface- oil stain or paint!Or was there a tradesman involved!
A strip down is the only recommendation because - as you say - it hasn't been able to adhere to the old surface film.

jezabeel, Feb 26, 3:11am
It sounds like a disaster to me.
You cannot paint over oil based without primer/undercoat EVER.
If you water blast some it will probably blow it right off the wall

maclad, Feb 26, 3:28am
Sounds like she, sadly, did not do enough homework. For her sake I hope not.

wheelz, Feb 26, 4:45am
I think because we were painting our house, which is stucco and know what paint we use. She wanted her place done too. It is their first year in their own home, and they could not or did not find out for sure if it was oil based stain or paint used before hand.As I said in my first post, no primer or sealer or whatever was used first. They painted it themselves using two coats. It does look good, but I'm afraid it won't last. I did show her that it scratches off very easily. But did not say much more, as all the paint had been bought, scaffolding was up and house nearly done. Hubby and I have decided not to mention it further, but to let them enjoy its new look while it lasts. Just don't have the heart to tell them it was for naught and they'll be in for way more expenseand work when it all starts to lift off. I just feel sick for her. A very very hard lesson to learn.

smoocher, Feb 26, 5:00am
oh golly, that will be a hard learned lesson.
I wouldn't say anything either, as its a done deal and often, its the bearer of bad tidings, who copes it.

hatchback, Feb 26, 5:05am
If they used weathersheild there is a good chance it will stick ok, just needs time to cure and as it does it will bond more and more, have another look in 6mths. All new paint will scratch of easily.

wheelz, Feb 26, 5:11am
It was weathershield. Ido hope you are right. I did wonder that myself.
I'm almost too scared to look at the paintwork when we visit.

bothofus, Feb 26, 5:16am
Modern acrylic (water clean-up) paints WILL stick to oil-based (turps clean-up) paints without undercoats.Weathershield is a good paint.It just needs time to set. Don't touch it, don't water-blast or scratch it any more - just leave it for a few weeks and see if it doesn't harden. The only problem you may have is if the underlying paint is an OIL stain usually put on cedar weather siding. Either way - walk away from it and wait a few weeks.

wheelz, Feb 26, 5:54am
Starting to breathe a little easier. Fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for your input guys!

hatchback, Feb 26, 6:21am
I resently painted a very weathered ceder house in timbercryl with is the low sheen version of weathersheild. Admitedly 90% of any stain was long bleached away but I have no doubt that this Dulux product will not fail. Just litterallypoured two coats on. I painted a veranda about 10 yrs ago that the posts had quite a visable stain and I told the owner (a mate of mine) it might not stick but it is still there today. I have seen paint stick to all sorts of surfaces, some have baffled me how they have hung on.

trade4us2, Feb 26, 8:00am
Check with Dulux.
"When you paint your house with Dulux Weathershield you can be sure it will protect your house for as long as you live there.

That's because for over 40 years we've been developing and testing Dulux Weathershield under harsh New Zealand weather conditions.

We're so confident our product will not peel, flake or blister in any weather condition that if it doesn't deliver - we'll replace the product free of charge*. That's our promise to you."

roopydoop, Feb 26, 8:10am
They do have a proviso.

"provided it is applied on properly prepared surfaces as per label directions. This guarantee does not cover paint failure caused by any breakdown of coatings applied previously. If Dulux Weathershield does not perform as specified above, Dulux will provide free of charge paint to rectify the affected areas."

eagles9999, Feb 26, 8:11am
Where's fordkiwi when you need a painting expert!

fordkiwi27, Feb 26, 8:21am
you called!haha and as the others have said, needs a couple of weeks to a month to dry and cure. then see if it does it. if it does still scrape of easily leave it . if it came down to it it probably wouldnt fall off on areas that arnt touched etc.you could strip and redo with a oil based sealer such as porches etc. please keep us posted. i think it will be ok. !

wheelz, Feb 26, 9:58am
Oh blessed relief! It's only been2weeks. Your replies have raised my hopes. I would just hate to see my daughter disappointed in all their hard work.

elise24, Feb 26, 8:14pm
Winter will be the test. Just wait until next summer to fix it.

singing1, Mar 26, 2:44pm
The drying of acrylic paints occurs in two stages. The first stage results in the formation of a skin over the surface of the paint. This is the time that it takes for acrylics to be touch dry. Very thin films can feel dry within seconds, while thick films may take a full day or more to skin over.
The second stage is the time for the entire thickness of the film to be thoroughly dry. That is, the time required for all of the water and solvent to evaporate and leave the film. This is a most crucial time frame, as the ultimate physical properties, such as adhesion and hardness do not fully develop until the film is near complete dryness. For very thin films, this time may be a few days, while thicker film may take four weeks or more maybe months and even a year to be completely dry if film thickness is say 5mm or more.
As others have said, avoid scratch testing the surface, don't pressure washit for ages, as you will only harm the finish. There is a very good chance that it will be fine.
I would be interest though in who gave her painting advice! Was it the local paint shop!