Building a deck

dyln.sampson, Oct 20, 8:58am
Building a deck on a cross lease property! Do I need to tell anybody! Any permits to go through! Will b under 1.5m. It will be a island deck that will be in the middle of the yard. I just want to know if I can build it without consenting to anyone!!

kp11, Oct 20, 9:17am
Cant see why youd need a permit for that.But might depend on the % of land area maybe!Check with your Council.
Intrigued though. why have a low deck in the middle of the yard!

ml6989, Oct 20, 10:00am
Fire ahead, it's fine by me!

dyln.sampson, Oct 20, 6:57pm
The deck will be ad joining to the deck attached to the house slightly off to the side. It will be a entertainment deck with fireplace nod table chairs etc. im wanting to put in a pool in near future.

tigra, Oct 20, 10:05pm
If its on a Cross lease property you have to have the permission of theother owners. You see you are only a part-owner - I'm suprised no-one else mentioned that.

kp11, Oct 20, 10:09pm
So essentially your extending the deck already attached to the house.Differnt from a wee platform in the middle of the lawn on its own.

dyln.sampson, Oct 20, 10:29pm
That's the answer I was looking for!

amasser, Oct 21, 12:01am
Also, might need to be drawn on Flats Plan - may need legal advice on that aspect, depending on your lease document.

squeaking, Oct 22, 6:30am
you have stated the deck will be under 1.5. if this is the height from ground level you will need to apply for a building permit if it is over 1.0m in height and if conecting to house will need to be packed off the weather board or cladding 12mm to stop water pooling between the cladding and the joist or stringer and rotting out the cladding, this is now council requirement.

tezw1, Oct 22, 5:33pm
Schedule 1 of the Building Act change a little while ago, you can now build a deck up to 1.5m high without a consent. However if it is more than 1.0m off the ground then it will require a barrier (handrail). I'm not sure about the requirements for the cross lease part though. You may need neighbours consent.

tillsbury, Oct 25, 5:12pm
Should be ok, doesn't need building consent if it's "not possible to fall more than 1.5m" (this includes if the deck collapses, so any vertical measurement anywhere around or within the structure).However, it must meet the building code, which includes the "safety from falling" requirement where there is a fall of 1m or more.I'd very much doubt that there would be a problem with a cross lease but I'd suggest chatting to the neighbours about it first always with something like this.