How to prep a roughcaste fence for painting?

loadmaster2, Mar 1, 11:10pm
Is already painted and I'm going to paint it. It is concrete.
I was just going to take a good waterblaster to it and use a wire brush.
Am I doing it right or not!
Any special type of paint I should use!
Any tips or advise much appriciated

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 1, 11:16pm
Use a soft broom to paint with, shorten the handle stick if necessary. The soft head lets paint get into all the bumps and holes, it moves over the surface well and it is quicker and cheaper that wearing out good brushes on such a harsh surface. For prep I'm not sure about a fresh wall, the roughcast I've painted (a two storied house lol) was well established. And wear sunscreen - lots of sunscreen!

pskpinks, Mar 1, 11:30pm
Wash down dirty/dusty surface. Treat for moss & mould. Wash the moss & mould cleaner off after 12 hours. If there is a coating of paint adhereing well to the surface then two top coats should suffice. Agree with hunnihunni about application method otherwise you have to 'scroogle/push' the brush into the surface which takes forever! If there is flaking paint back to bare concrete/plaster then it would need to be sealed with a pigmented sealer. Why! 'cos other wise your paint soaks in [and in and in] and you use so much more it isn't funny.

loadmaster2, Mar 1, 11:47pm
Thanks alot and a good idea about the broom and the pigmented sealer

joanie32, Mar 2, 1:51am
make up a chlorine mix and wash fence with that. Its good if theres any gloss on the current paint, as it makes it flatter

ang_ck, Mar 31, 3:02am
you need to kill the mould or moss first, or else it is waste of time, effort and money.