Painting a skyline garage roof - advice please

sooby, Feb 28, 11:22pm
hi guys,

Our skyline garage roof is looking faded & maybe even a little chalky looking, so its time for a new coat of paint.

Whats the best way to prep the surface! Existing paint seems in ok condition with no flaking or rust, just faded & a little chalky looking.Can I just paint over, or is undercoating/sealant needed!

What is paint coverage like on painted steel!Garage is 6x8m in floor area, so with eaves overhang & spouting to paint it would be a fraction more, maybe about 55m2.I'm guessing I'll need a 10litre bucket!

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

jenny188, Mar 1, 1:40am
power wash (or waterblast) and then 2 coats of Acrylic roof paint (water-based) Probably need 2 1/2 to 3 ten liter buckets. The thicker you apply the paint , the longer it will last. You could also use an airless spray unit to apply the paint. Some paint shops have these for loan when you buy the paint there. 1 coat will probably do as these tend to put a thicker coat on.

sooby, Mar 3, 6:34pm
Cheers :)

pskpinks, Mar 3, 6:59pm
If it is just the roof to be painted and the overall dimensions are 55m2- a 10 litre of roof paint will cover 100-110m2. So one 10 litre is plenty for two coats.
Usually after thorough wash down/rinse off of an older weathered powder coated roof the prep is completed. If you power wash be careful on the edges or anywhere that water can get in under the metal. Do not sand the surface as you may well break through the old existing powder coat and then you certainly would have to use a galvanised iron primer.

elise24, Apr 1, 10:11pm
Power wash won't remove the chalky layer of paint. Use a paint prep cleaner and two coats of acrylic.