Frangipani question

radgirl, Mar 6, 5:32am
x1
I have a small frangipani which has grown many leaves on this year. Its only a 1 1/2yrs old.My question is if the flowers grow on the branches how do the branches form! Mine has one main "trunk" with all the leaves coming out of the top of the trunk.hope I make sense but I see no evidence of any branches forming then of course the leaves will all fall off over winter.

wheelz, Mar 6, 5:52am
I think they branch as they get older

bugin, Mar 6, 8:22am
I have 12 X 25 year old Frangipanis around my garden and seedlings growing by the dozen.They will branch next spring if you give them some good compost and horse manure and plenty of water
some of my trees are 20-25 meters high ,and the fragrance is amazing.

bugin, Mar 6, 8:23am
I'm sorry mine are the Australian Frangipani.

radgirl, Mar 6, 8:41am
thanks people- the photo Koru67 does explain it and yes this wee tree bought off TM is still quite little-- first shedding of leaves last year.is the Australian variety different from the island variety like I have!white and yellow flowers with an amazing perfume.the NZ variety has yellow flowers only.didnt know they seeded-- on google it tells you to plant cuttings so assumed they only struck from cuttings.

radgirl, Mar 6, 8:42am
by the way mine is in a pot as we are shifting to Thames from Auckland.hoping I can plant it out near the house when we get to the beach!

bugin, Mar 6, 8:51am
Aussie ones are tall and quite random in growth habit ,not really a symetrical shape at all.Big strong base branches and more lighter open structure after2 meters .Often multiple leader .
Flower heavily from mid Nov to late Jan here in Nelson.Heavenly fragrance.

hilt_dwane, Mar 6, 8:37pm
Radgirl, kiwilion Trademe seller, sells frangipani seed so am sure has lots of information on growing them. Huge range of colours too

jan2242, Mar 6, 9:15pm
My 3 are all grown from seed. Not a great strike rate but 3 is better than nothing. They are now 4 years old and still only 1 trunk and about 12 inches high. They have never flowered but I am ever hopeful.

vaine, Jun 4, 5:58pm
I have a tree in my pot and just keep flowering yearly...Ive got 13 cuttings and most flowered..all yellow and white clour..Sold some and I gave them away to close friends..At first it didn't flower for 3 years then I started feeding with seaweed liquid...the following year every branch had flowers...