White Tail Spiders

Page 1 / 2
muzza3, Feb 11, 3:00am
A friend of mine is renting a house here in Tauranga.
She has now been bitten 3 times by WTS, I have been over and sprayed Ripcord ( spider stuff) around the outside of the house , window frames inside and out, as well as under the beds etc.We have also let off a "bug bomb"
After the second one a doctors visit was required , and the doc confirmed a spider bit and she was quite unwell for a few days.
Today it has happened again, suggestions please as we cant afford for her to be laid low.TIA

rsr72, Feb 11, 3:05am
Vac, wipe, dust more, and wash down outside of house.

twindizzy, Feb 11, 3:07am
Bomb in the roof and under the house. Ripcord worked wonders here- you could also do corners of each room on the carpet.

NO doubt people will say pay for a pro though

rsr72, Feb 11, 3:08am
.also clean underneath of wood furniture, tables etc., tops of wardrobes for nests.- those fluffy white ones.

muzza3, Feb 11, 3:08am
Did all skirting boards , sprayed outside , didn't get into ceiling spacewill give it another go

wendalls, Feb 11, 3:10am
As a landlord I was asked to pay for professional spider treatment as they were "big and scary". I thought this was a bit cheeky but paid anyway. So worth a go.

rsr72, Feb 11, 3:17am
#6- Better than driving your tenants mad with whitetail arachnaphobia.

roopydoop, Feb 11, 3:19am
Bug bombs don't have any residual effect so will only kill whats there on the day.
A professional will fog the whole interior of your home with a residual product that is long lasting.
whitetails are also known as linen spider as bites can occur at night, following accidental contact with the White-tail spider from bedclothes, towels or linen. They can come in on the washing, firewood lots of ways without coming into contact with treated surfaces on the outside.

Treating the roof space (especially if you have downlights etc) is a good idea.

twindizzy, Feb 11, 3:25am
Yes definitely check the washing as you bring it in off the line too!

elect70, Feb 11, 4:03am
I ge theaps of daddy long legs, even in the toilet pan.Sprayed all sufaces with mortienkeeps them away for a while .They come through thedownlights .

hilt_dwane, Feb 11, 5:08am
If you have sliding interior doors, there is direct access to the roof cavity and thats the main place of entry. We are in Tauranga, makes no difference that the house is only 18 months old, we were getting them in very frequently about Nov. I am so paranoid about them and couldnt rest easy (felt I was looking over my shoulder all the time). We bit the bullet and had the house sprayed inside and out and he went up in the manhole as far as the light would allow. We have had NOTHING since and that is nearly 12 weeks. It was money very well spent I'd say

hannibalcat, Feb 11, 6:24am
We are in Hamy and had about 7 in 10 days.We had the house sprayed 2 weeks ago and have had one inside (I think I wiped around the back door too quickly) hubby killed it but it was suppose to go in a jar and if alive the spider man would come back and spray again.$220 well spent as far as I'm concerned.

muzza3, Feb 11, 6:30am
Right just back from spraying , bug bomb tomorrow I'll get the little buggers,

muzza3, Feb 11, 6:31am
Ps thanks for hte tip re the sliders , will give special attention to them

caveman02, Feb 11, 6:31am
contact 'KiwiCare Products' and or4der a bottle of Deltamethren spider and fly killer.
Its what the commercial guys use, but a fraction of the price.

Remember residual poisons dont kill on contact. They can take 1/2 hour to kill, and WTS move fast. Keep all other spiders out of the house, as thats what the WTS lives off - especially the big brown house spider that makes the zig-zag webs

imagine4, Feb 11, 8:24am
i get a pro to spray y house twice a year.and touch wood not seen any yet.

jessebird, Feb 11, 9:12am
aaww don,t kill them, they keep the WT away.

dagon1, Feb 11, 9:49am
yeah thats what i thought as well .i have seen a few doco's about spiders etc and saw one where people cleanedup there house so good and got rid of everything.they ended up getting a mass invasion of a certain spider because they got rid of the spider that keeps the other one away.so it might seem silly keeping some other spiders around. you dont want to unbalance the cycle now :)

brightlights60, Feb 11, 9:59am
White tails tend to come in through the window frames (they are very good at getting in those tiny drainage holes in the aluminium joinery) and they travel along skirting boards and cornices (sp). We have used a product from Bin Inn called Enviroshield. Its made of that pyretherum (sp again!) stuff, all natural, but spiders hate it. We make sure we do it after a hot spell, when it rains as that's when all the spiders come in. We also have the same stuff in those automatic spray things in two parts of the house. Really all you can do. Nasty buggers.

lythande1, Feb 11, 7:08pm

roopydoop, Feb 11, 7:21pm
While I agree with you that the whitetail is not as dangerous as it is portrayed in the media, some people suffer allergic reactions to insect bites (I have seen someone suffer terribly from sandfly bites).

It maybe whats happening to the lady in the ops 1st post it obviously made her unwell enough to seek medical attention.

mottly, Feb 12, 12:30am
actually it's not an 'allergy' or venom, it's a bacterial infection, just like you can get from any puncture - hence ab's are prescribed.All in all though, they're a stroppy spider. Make sure the house is tidy, don't have stuff lying around, or piled up on the floor - too many hiding places is not good. The 30 day insect spray is good - spray it around all doors and windows - also, plants/shrubs growing against the house outside is the worst thing!

roopydoop, Feb 12, 4:33am
Some people can have an allergic reaction to a spider bite the same as they do to a sting from a bee and experience varying degrees of anaphylaxis
http://www.health.govt.nz/yourhealth-topics/bites-and-stings/spider-bites

terachaos, Feb 12, 4:40am
I haven't tried this; a friend in Australia swears by the use of peppermint oil wiped in and around points of entry.and they have some seriously scary spiders over there, and she has a fear of them. Also just a general observation, where we have rampant patches of common mint growing there are no spider webs close by.

mottly, Feb 13, 1:16am
considering 99% of people bitten by a whitetail is prescribed antibiotics (which aren't for allergic reactions, only infections).obviously allergies aren't common at all with them.