Painting wooden window frames - What type of paint

shaun16, Jan 30, 3:09am
i need to repaint the window frames on my house. most of them are getting a bit rough looking and could do with a tidy up. what sort of paint am i supposed to use! im going to give them a clean and light sand and then paint onto the existing paint. any help appreciated

shaun16, Jan 30, 3:11am
also i will be painting the insides and outsides, so need somthing that can be used on both

kp11, Jan 30, 6:32am
This is my next project im procrastinating over.
Ive always been a fan of oil based enamel on window frames, but im hearing lots the water based paints are much improved & dont crack as much.
Will watch for advice also.

rak1, Jan 30, 6:51am
Hubby stripped all of our windows inside and out, back to bare wood. Did the outside with high gloss Aqua Enamel and the inside with high gloss enamel. Took ages to do but they now look like the insides are made of white glass (soooo smooth) and the outside look excellent

zl2adl, Jan 30, 7:15am
Doing frames and sashes! the more old paint you can remove the better the job will look and the longer it will last. I remove the sash and use a belt sander to sand them almost to bare wood, oil prime and paint with water borne enamel. the frames get a similar treatment by scraping most of the old paint off. Just repainting will only add good over old that has had its day. When doing the sashes it pays to reputty as well. Don't use water base acrylic as the windows will stick each time you try to open. So the important thing is water borne enamal and 2 coats.

kp11, Jan 30, 7:50am
Awsome advice.Thank you.
They do need reputtying anyway, so i guess its back to the wood i go with the sanding.
Theres some cracking in the wood - can i just fill that with builders bog & sand / seal!
Also any recommendations for putty!Ive heard theres new stuff that doesnt take weeks to dry!
Thanks.

kp11, Jan 30, 7:53am
Also. any advice for how to prep /what to paint the metal flashing at the top with!Thanks.

eagles9999, Jan 30, 9:25am
Dont use a "trendy darkcolour". Window frames get quite hot and dark paint that absorbs the heat more will crack and shrink the paint. Especially enamel

zl2adl, Feb 18, 11:52am
If the cracks are in the wood, use wood puty once you have oil primed and before the primer is properly dry put the putty into the cracks and allow to dry for a good 24 hours, sand smooth and reprime if required with oil, then you can use a water base primer undercoat, sand then top coat. Bog is OK but won't expand with the wood and comes loose. Reputy the glass with clazing compound.