OTT but can anyone help with gas bottle?

lisa_marie40, Feb 9, 5:54am
I have a gas bottle thats probably around 3yrs old, the dial that you turn to turn on the gas WONT budge, can anyone help on how i get this to budge! can it be fixed or has it had it! thanks.

jills3, Feb 9, 6:00am
Ask the man next door, or maybe if you have vice grips, or just get angry and give it a real good screw to the round thingy.

_dwat_, Feb 9, 10:34pm
Chances are its stuffed.

Go swap it at a servo station with one of the swap a bottles, they never usually check the valve (they only look at rust, dents/gouges, top and bottom collars and for any burn damage), cost u about $36 and it's full too. Don't act weird and they will never know

tehenga288, Feb 10, 1:07am
Spray with CRC.

40wav, Feb 10, 4:17am
I think they will even take time expired bottles, so it may not matter and you will be able to act as weird as you want.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 10, 4:29am
isn't OTT for 'over the top' . and isn't OT for 'off topic'!Or have I got it wrong!

kamitchell, Feb 10, 8:34am
It's not already turned on is it!
New bottles have a built in valve that won't release gas unless a hose is connected properly.

lisa_marie40, Feb 10, 9:58am
sorry spiritofgonzo lol i thought ott was "off the topic" anyway one of my kids tried to get it to move by banding it with a hammer and now a piece has come off the handle so prob cant hide that from the servo guys lol, thanks for all offers of help and ideas. gunna give up on this bottle.

kuaka, Feb 10, 10:21am
My husband always has trouble with these, and after he's struggled for a while, cursing at me for tightening it too much, I always remind him "don't forget it's left hand thread dear" and he comes back with "I know that" and two seconds later he's done it.

tmenz, Feb 10, 10:28am
Are you sure it's not jammed fully open because you've been turning it hard in that direction! Try turning it the other way, i.e. closing it.

andrew1954, Feb 11, 1:00am
perhaps the OP could do her neighbours a favour of publishing her / his address. then they will have the opportunity of being out etc when they next start "hitting the roundee thing with a hammer" !.but I suspect it will only be a firey / bang bang situation !

shall, Feb 12, 6:21am
stupid questionbut you have tried both ways havent you !its not always the way you think it is,

but silly things out of the way,

try something like a stilsons wrench on it

supernova2, Feb 13, 8:21am
Don't think that will matter.Thats the idea of the swop.They take your old one, give it a spruce up and sell it to some other mug.Try Bunnings etc rather than servos.

solarboy, Mar 6, 1:17am
The hose fitting is a left handed thread but O P is talking about the tap which is ordinary R H thread.