Ahhh crap, plumbing/building advice?

mrsscubasteve, Feb 6, 8:28am
So we went away Auckland Anniversary, had a WICKED motel with an AMAZING shower (strip skin off your body). we returned home and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me as I'm sure our shower pressure wasn't quite the same and I had to turn the shower up more to have it hot.

Didn't mention anything to the LL as I thought it was just the come-down/come home from the amazing shower at the motel :(

The light on the sewerage system went off Sunday without its usual siren (unusual) and nothing out of the ordinary had occurred so called the council for them to sort it. It flicked off that night but randomly back on Monday with it turning itself off (it shouldn't) so again called the council.

Noticed the bathroom door has been tough to pull across the tiles lately but not out of the ordinary - thought I was imagining maybe the tile under it had raised; still level with the others so thought I was going nuts.

Eeeeeekkk fast forward to today and my partner was mowing out the back of the house and noticed water dripping (abit more than a drip but not quite a piss) at the bottom of the weatherboards back of the bathroom - as its a hard to access area and not somewhere you would hang out we seldom see it. Mold growing up the weatherboard to a certain height where there is clearly water stains heading back down - landlord washed the house over Christmas so he hadn't noticed anything and mold obviously grown since then.

We have mowed out there before and never noticed any leak - touch it, crap its warm (not hot, not cold). Run inside open the hot water cupboard (behind the bathroom door) and notice the wood surrounding it is wet (but wood is hard to touch). we have a house inspection tomorrow.

I text the landlord to let them know and will call the rental agency tomorrow to sort it with the repair department and hope I catch them at inspection to show them (have left note) - we wonder in mean time if allthese things I thought were odd but thought were something else are actually linked with this! And of course wondering what the issue may be!

farwest, Feb 6, 8:31am
Leaking hot water cylinder.

mrsscubasteve, Feb 6, 8:34am
Are these relatively expensive to fix! - we think this was repaired just before we moved in 8 months ago.

farwest, Feb 25, 9:55am
A new cylinder is around $1000, depending on type, plus plumber.