Bugs on my new rose plants - help?

casswill, Feb 6, 1:01am
I'm new to planting roses in my garden and noticed on many of the new ones they are covered in little tiny green bugs near the buds and leaves and some larger dark crawling things on the leaves.My husband sprayed the roses with something called Rose Shield (I think) last week, but is there anything more I should be doing to rid the plant of these.What happens if you leave them - does it really matter if they stay or will they eat away at the whole plant!Any tips appreciated.

piquant, Feb 6, 1:12am
What you have is aphid. And you don't want them! They are sucking insects and they suck the sap out of the plant. Shield or Super Shield is probably what your husband sprayed them with but they should have all died if it was done properly. Make sure you read the instructions carefully. You don't want to repeat yet so you may have to do some digital control - ie squash them between your fingers! Do be careful though and gently remove them as it will be new growth they are on. When you do your repeat spray - get something called pulse which is a surfectant - or sticker and it keeps the active spray on the leaf longer. Failing that - add a few drops of dishwashing liquid at the end of mixing your spray and that will do a similar (but not so effective) job.

breness, Feb 6, 2:41am
Give them a good blast with the hose. They are a very soft insect and the power of the water damages them.Please read you instructions carefully. I think Super Shield is systemic whereas ordinary Shield isn't.
Good luck with the pesky little blighters

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 6, 2:50am
You need ladybirds. And baby praying mantises. They love them.

fleur59, Feb 6, 3:49am
Pulse will help destroy the plant , it will break down the structure of the leaves.

piquant, Feb 6, 6:25am
I was not aware of that, fleur. Being a penetrant I suppose that may be possible although I have not ever heard of it being a problem. However, I have just been and read the instructions on the bottle and it states that additional surfactants are not required.
Both are systemic insecticides/fungicides.

floweringrose, Feb 6, 6:40am
seen as they have already been sprayed, they are probably dead now.Give them a flick to see if they fall off

casswill, Feb 6, 7:08am
Thanks for the advise everyone.

mummy12, Feb 6, 7:09am
take a cutting with insects on it and take it in a bag (sealed) to your local garden centre they will advise as to what is best to use.

mummy12, Feb 6, 7:10am
other way around shield is systemic and supershield isnt. :)

breness, Feb 6, 7:43am
Hi mummy12. I knew it was one ore the otherLOL. Thanks for that.

sophie98, Feb 6, 8:36am
Ordinary shield seams to control them better than the super shield.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 6, 8:43am
was just going to say that, you bet me to it.Although both have systemic fungicides.

wheelz, Feb 25, 6:05pm
Agree with this. I have done it myself, did not kill them, but I had serious leaf drop!