Cleaning household windows, how do you do it?

Page 1 / 2
jhwjhw, Feb 2, 3:33am
Me, I half fill a bucket with water, add a splash of detergent.
With a soft broom, wash the window down, then use a straight rubber squeegie! to remove excess water, then a towel to go around edges to remove what rubber cant.
Reasonabbly successful but occasionally leaves a trace of grime where the towels been.
Next week I need to attack the inside glass, do i go the same as the outside or use a "spray bottle Window Cleaner"!

elect70, Feb 2, 3:58am
My extaught meuse paper towe & mr muscle glass cleaner.Pretty good it even gets dried dog noseprints off .

gardie, Feb 2, 4:17am
Yes you can OP.I just fill an icecream container with warm water and a squirt of dishwashing detergent.I then you a roughish cloth to clean the window and follow it with a dry(ish) old linen teatowel to remove most of the moisture.I've also used the rubber blade but didn't like the drips.Just bought one of those karcher window vacs which actually scraps and sucks up the wet bits - its awesome and a bit quicker than doing it manually.

r.g.nixon, Feb 2, 4:18am
Not sure. I can still see through them.

samanya, Feb 2, 5:48am
Snap, gardie.
I used to pay for a window cleaner, about 3 times a year & I've just bought a Karcher window vacuum thing & I whizzed around my (not small) house today .It's brilliant & I figure that after a couple of cleans, it will have paid for itself.
I couldn't be bothered with the gizmo supplied with thecleaner so I had my bucket with water, white vinegar & a teensy bit of meths added .so far so good.
I'm trying to discourage the blowflies from using my numerous windows as a loo!

gardie, Feb 2, 5:51am
Its blowflies here too samanya - one of the drawbacks of living in the country.I too couldn't be bothered with the washer thingy - my windows were toooo dirty so I still saw streaks.Stopped that when I went to my ice cream container.Did the outside similarly - dust is the problem out there.As soon as its wet it goes muddy and that tends to streak - nice clean water seems to do the trick.

family007, Feb 2, 6:25am
I bought a K'a'rcher window cleaner. love it!

samanya, Feb 2, 6:41am
I'm rural, as well.
I felt a bit guilty spending on a window gadget, but after one house lot of windows .the guilt has gone!
The salesperson told me that they are flying out the door & a lot of commercial window cleaners are buying them up large.

trade4us2, Feb 2, 6:50am
I have some 180 panes of glass which I clean every 10 years or so.

amasser, Feb 2, 8:00am
Need to keep towels dry (you'll need several) or use newspaper.

aloha3, Feb 2, 8:07am
After cleaning, i polish with squnched newspaper

mypeaches, Feb 2, 9:23am
I use the viva cloths from the supermarket (blue box)
Wet one cloth with water, dry off with the other, no streaks

nauru, Feb 2, 10:30am
Same herebut I add white vinegar to the water too.I use a microfibre cloth to dry with after the squeegee.

nauru, Feb 2, 10:31am
Are they expensive!

wheelz, Feb 2, 12:21pm
Newspaper is excellent for putting a streak free shine on windows! And it's free

gardie, Feb 2, 5:45pm
$159 - free postage from Barrels at Albany.

tess59, Feb 2, 8:41pm
Handy hint - clean inside right to left and then the outside up and down (or otherway round) that way you can tell which side it is, if you miss a spot.

samanya, Feb 2, 9:08pm
Aw!
$179 from Mitre 10 .however I put it on my CRT a/c so the discount brought it down to about the same as yours.

hanmer, Feb 3, 12:56am
as OP, i also use hot water, detergent and soft broom.immediately followed by hosing down.looks good.

eta. will go for the Karcher

net_oz, Feb 3, 1:54am
My windows get washed with a broom and a bucket of car wash n wax. Shiniest windows in the street, without streaks too.

kuaka, Feb 3, 8:11am
I just wish I could wash the outside of my upstairs windows, but most of them are just too high for me to be able to reach them, even with an extension brush.I can only do the ones where they are above the deck.

maggiemay5, Feb 3, 10:05pm
I had the same problem. I bought a magnetic window cleaner in the UK, but not sure if they are available here. It's a 2-piece cleaner, one on each side of the glass. You move the inside one around and the outside one moves with it. Not 100% effective, but removed a lot of built-up grime.

heads1st, Feb 3, 10:45pm
I put half a capful of handy andy in a bucket with 2 litres of warm water. Use towels to clean and dry off. I've never come across anything better, especially for doing car windows.

plymtree, Feb 4, 4:50am
They okay for single glazing but no good for double glazing.

kuaka, Feb 4, 5:02am
I don't have double glazing, but what I do have, is one window which doesn't open, it's in our bedroom, there's an opening window on the next wall to it, but I've tried, and I can't reach round from the opening window to the one round the corner which doesn't open, so even if I had one of those magnetic things, it would be no use to me.The basement is 15feet high, and then the main living area is on top of that,Too high for an extension brush, so it stays dirty.I don't think it's ever been cleaned since the house was built.I'm wondering why they didn't put an opening window there.I wouldn't mind but it's at the front of the house too, so it's very noticeable.