Oily substance coming up through carpet?

booksnstuff, Jan 26, 10:34am
People over in general thought I should ask here too.Several areas of our hallway have a light stain which is ever so slowly spreading. It's not wet to touch but feels oily on hand. Smells funny but not awful. One mark is outside sons room(opposite toilet) and the others up the opposite side up the hallway at the side against the wall, as well as a small amount on the carpet in the bathroom, again against the wall. We are at a loss as to what it could be and originally thought a leak in the toilet pipes or something but they head the other way I thought, plus it doesn't smell like THAT. Any idea what it might be! We have concrete floors under the carpet, and it's a Fraemohs home where the ceilingsare wooden as well as walls in lounge and dining room., rest are normal type walls. We will be calling someone on Monday to have a look, but wondering in the meantime if anyone might know what it could be.

gabbysnana, Jan 26, 7:36pm
lift the carpet would be the obvious.built ontop of rubbish dump!

carter19, Jan 26, 8:58pm
The only way is to lift the carpet. Concrete may be cracked and if they didn;t put polythene under there may be ozzing from under the slab, or maybe there is a couple of slow leak in one of the water pipes. It can happen

annmarie4, Jan 28, 7:16am
Keep us up to date -- we have a similar stain in a fraemohs home, but our floors are chipboard, not concrete. Could be total coincidence of course!

booksnstuff, Jan 28, 7:43pm
Oooohhh.will do. Have someone coming this morning to inspect. Insurance is covering everything. The carpet will have to go so probably the whole house will have to be redone, which isn't a bad thing because who would've thought about putting off white carpet through a home lol.

booksnstuff, Jan 28, 10:30pm
Insurance has been and it's a mystery to him, however someone has suggested there may be previously undetected eq damage in the foundations and even hairline cracks could draw moisture up through to the carpet. This would make more sense.

guest, May 26, 4:08pm
x1
So what happened with the oily substance? Who did you call and what was the final determination. I am having the same problem and would like to get some ideas on how to proceed.