Our builder is advising us to put

ahck, Jan 21, 9:41am
Butynol Shingle Tiles on roof of our new house are they any good and how long do they last !

cowlover, Jan 21, 12:24pm
I don't know but it's not something that I would think would be a good idea long term.Unless Butynol systems have improved a lot they tend to come unglued over time.

I would think there are better options available.

krames, Jan 21, 4:20pm
his brother inlaw puts them up .

hatchback, Jan 21, 6:17pm
Longrun coloursteel, I wouldnt bother with anything else

kandjaja, Jan 21, 6:31pm
Agree. Unless the pitch of the roof is low, colorsteel all the way.

omamari, Jan 22, 2:00am
I think he is talking about asphalt shingles which are awesome. We live on the coast and have a forty year guarantee, try and get that with long run colour steel

hatchback, Jan 22, 3:16am
Yeah but you try getting a truck up there in 40yrs to reseal it!

elect70, Jan 22, 5:22am
Thats what decramastic wasjustgrit overtar!

trade4us2, Jan 22, 5:41am
If they are really Butynol they should last a very long time.
We've had a Butynol roof last over 40 years and is still OK.

omamari, Jan 22, 6:04am
Asphalt shingles are nothing like decramastic.Decramastic were crappy metal tiles covered with grit and crap. Asphalt shingles are a fibreglass impregnated with bitumen. Google Gaf Elk and see what I'm talking about

ed65, Jan 22, 7:30am
We replaced our 25 yr old coloursteel roof with asphalt shingles last year. Love them! Ours are 'Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles' from South Pacific Shingles in Auckland. I think they've got a 30 yr warranty! Really recommend our installer too - Shingle & Shake Roofing Ltd.

ed65, Jan 22, 6:27pm
Should add that when we got the shingle roof, we needed a building consent as we weren't replacing the original coloursteel with the same material. And we had to get our builder to add extra purlins to the roofing frame.

caspar26, Jan 23, 8:52pm
I personally love the ashphalt shingles and with the plywood base its probably the strongest roofing material around. looks great too.

gwimweeper, Jan 23, 8:55pm
How does the cost of roofing with asphalt shingles compare with coloursteel ,please !

ed65, Jan 23, 10:49pm
It was just over $11k for the asphalt shingles but ours was a fiddly job with three large dormers, plus verandahs - and it had to be done in stages. That price also included removing the existing roof, and installing the plywood and felt layers that go under the shingles, plus ridge ventilation, vents, and all the coloursteel cappings/edging.

Never did get a quote for re-roofing in coloursteel because the two firms I contacted never got back to me.

carter19, Jan 24, 1:49am
If you are on tank water, you wont be able to use it for at least 2years (with the asphalt roofing). There is a house in Te Atatu with these tiles. It's octagonal and it has spend a large portion of its life missing patches here and there. Havaing said that I know of 2 other homes with asphalt shingles that were istalled correctly and they are great - just couldn't use the water

omamari, Jan 24, 5:50am
Re water collection. That seems strange because we started drinking the water off our roof as soon as the house was finished. That was four years ago and funnily enough we are still alive and kicking. The tiles need to be laid in warmer weather so that they stick to each other, laying in winter can be a recipe for disaster.

ae64, Jan 25, 9:59am
Asphalt tiles will be fine. The question is whether your builder is able to get you a competitive price since its his brother in law or how will he make sure you get the best value for your buck

marymc, Jan 25, 9:18pm
We were told that a few years ago too.

All I can find is this:

"Drinking
Water from the Roof

by Joe ten Broeke
a BRANZ Senior Technical Adviser

In many rural areas where there is no town water supply, water is collected from house roofs for household use, including drinking water. Which materials are safe to use for the roof and storage tank! Which are not!

One of the New Zealand Building Code (NZBC) Clause G12 'Water Supplies' is to safeguard people from illness caused by contaminated water. Water supplies intended for human consumption, food preparation, utensil washing or oral hygiene must be "potable", i.e. safe to drink.

Will water collected from any roof be safe and potable! The answer is NO! Some roof cladding materials are unsuitable for the collection of drinking water. Others are only suitable after some weathering, or after they have been washed by two or three good rainfalls.

So what is suitable, what is safe and which materials require washing before they are suitable!

What is not safe!
Water should not be collected from roofs built with the following materials, since the water could be contaminated by dangerous soluble substances from the materials:
· lead, commonly in the form of lead flashings (especially if unpainted)
· lead-based paints
· asbestos-cement products]
· CCA-treated wood shingles-
· LOSP-treated wood shingles
· bituminous materials.

What needs washing!
The following materials require rain washing or weathering before drinking water can be collected from them:
· new, untreated cedar shingles must be allowed to weather first, since this timber is naturally acidic
· newly applied acrylic roof paint needs one or two good rain showers first, since detergent foaming can occur when it is new
· fibre-cement products (not containing asbestos) are safe, but they also require at least two good periods of rain washing to remove potentially harmful particles.

What is suitable!
Water can be collected from the following roofing materials (from new) without any risk, as long as they are clean:
· galvanised steel roofing
· zinc/aluminium-coated steel roofing
· clay tiles
· factory-painted steel
· factory-painted tiles
· zinc materials
· stainless steel
· butyl (but note that black butyl rubber will release material as it weathers)
· mineral-fibre asphalt
· slate
If the materials you want to use are not listed here, ask the manufacturer for written information about the suitability of their products for water supply collection."

carter19, Jan 26, 12:09am
One lot of friends were told not to use the water for at least 2 years and they didn;t. The others were told it was OK. Before long they had truly foul sediment in their guttering and tank and their water smelt so bad, it was difficult to shower in let alone drink. It could only have come from the roof as there were no trees within shouting distance. They had a 3 stage filter system but that didn't help. Only thing that helped was to clean the water tanks and have them filled by tanker and disconnect the spouting.

guest, Jun 5, 4:55pm
I built a house in the late 80's with Butynol Shingle Tiles on the 45 deg. roof. They have been a disaster. They perish and the surface keeps coming off as a fine powder. After 10 years the shingles split along the joins of the plywood. I contacted Ardex and they advised the shingles had a 10 year warranty and was at the end of it's life,