Parsnips

Page 1 / 2
jrlaw, Jan 14, 8:18pm
Planted a row of parsnips in Oct, none came up. Found a packet of out of date seeds the packet had been opened, looked about 3 years old, BLOW me down planted them and now have a full row of great looking plants.No telling with those things for sure.

poce, Jan 14, 9:42pm
Never had any luck with parsnips, used half a packet once 2 came up.

samanya, Jan 14, 9:53pm
Same here .I've tried every tip/trick I've heard of .pouring boiling water over the sown row, placing a board over until germinated (& both of these tips together) & I finally have a small row by just planting another lot of seeds & doing nothing, except making sure that the seeds were barely covered with soil .no rhyme or reason with parsnips, it seems.

malone4, Jan 14, 11:25pm
I plant mine the same way as carrot. mix the seed with radish. It thins them out nicely as the radish are ready quick smart It takes a long time for parsnip to grow But I dont seem to have any problem getting a big healthy yield. I also leave 1 or 2 to seed out which gives me stock for next year.

zl2adl, Jan 15, 6:27am
I let a couple of them go to seed and saved the seeds once dried. planted them and everone germinated, so now I save seeds and plant them. the secret is fresh seed. I havn't been and seen yet but the commercial planters use a paletised seed, it a little ball like a pea seed and is coated with a fertiliser, they drill them with a machine. So I would assume that they can be purshased fron a seed merchant, but the quantity maybe another thing.

robyn276, Jan 15, 7:56am
Yes, if you can get them to grow make sure you let a few go to seed and strip the seeds off them when they dry out. I could never grow them either until I struck one row, so made sure I kept seed. Everyone who has said they can't grow them have been able to with my seed.

harrislucinda, Jan 15, 9:17am
same herei put in arow and nothing comeup Yetwhenihad a seedheadi spreadevery whereand hadheapscameupbut they turned woody

samanya, Jan 15, 9:28pm
Hmmm.sounds like saving seed is the answer .thanks for that tip, folk.

hmck, Jan 15, 10:14pm
My mother used to swear by putting the seed down in the row and then tipping very hot water over them before you covered the seed.It may have worked fo rher - but it still never worked for me.I just think they are s***** of things to grow!(Much as they are one of my favourtie vegies I have given up on the growing of).

malone4, Jan 16, 1:29am
same with celery aswel eh.
Its rare to buy seed at the plant shop. I dont know why that is.
Any one else found this problem!

p.monro, Jan 16, 4:51pm
Parsnip seed needs to be fresh. After opening the packet the seed deteriorates rapidly after a month or so.
Direct seeding in the ground is a problem from weeds and slugs
The technique I found that works for me is to grow them as seedlings in a pot,in seed raising mix usingabout 100mm deep.A deep soil allows the tap root to develop.I sow the seed very thickalmost covering the surface of the pot and then cover with a thin layer of seed mix. Then stand the pot in about 10mm of water to ensure it remains wet.
The plants should show in under 21days. leave them for another week. Look underneath, the pot, for roots popping through the bottom and then plant them.
Now I have for many years tried planting in October but I lose many to slugs and snails. However mid November planting is usually 100% successful.
I use a spade thrust full depth into the soil and wriggled back and forth so that it can be extracted leaving a deep narrow trench. A scarper is used to clean off any soil that clings to the spade.
I plant 3 seedlings in each thrust carefully ensuring the root is fully in the deep trench. When the seedling is in, a small amount of soil is flicked into the trench to hold the seedling in place. It is not necessary to firmly pack the seedling. This may break off the tap root. The seedling have a marvelous ability to cling to soil. It is the top of the seedlings that need holding. There is also no need to water after planting. The seedlings are very strong. I get 100% survival on transplant with no obvious stress.
With this technique the problems of slugs, weeding and thinning are all minimised

malcovy, Jan 16, 10:47pm
Reading this month Gardener magazine someone has wrote in and said that their grandfather states that never touch the parsnip seed as there is something on our hands that inhibit growth.He had 90% success.

One year I used tweezers and made my own seed tape and I had a wonderful crop.

mothergoose_nz, Jan 17, 3:22am
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Y45wpoWHx4w
this is from england and it is growing the giant parsnips for competition.they grow them in tubes in a barrel of sand.he does something called chitting the seed

wizid, Jan 17, 6:56am
[]had not throught of that malone carrots and rads . butno to parsnip devils food

malone4, Jan 17, 8:47am
its a good trick of the trade alright.
works even better with carrot.

wizid, Jan 18, 12:32am
malone . i am coming to akland on the 29th any chance of a catch up .

holdenchick, Jan 18, 1:02am
Is it too late to plant parsnip now!I live in Wellington.

malone4, Jan 18, 4:00am
Hi ya wizid ,im in southland.

malone4, Jan 18, 6:26pm
I have some fresh seed if any bodies interested.

wizid, Jan 19, 9:49am
well that puts that out .

malone4, Jan 19, 6:57pm
yeah i suppose it does wizid but if you're ever down these parts look me up and we'll have a cup of herbal.

macandrosie, Jan 19, 7:58pm
Yes you should use fresh seed each year. Plant a generous amount & I have always sprinkled it by hand along the row. The only time I have not had success was when I planted it sparsely. One year I harevested some parsnip seed from a seeded planted & kept it in a paper bag, I used it the following season with great success. Also after planting & pressing down the row, I run along with a kettle of boiling water pouring onto the parsnip seed. They take alot longer to germinate than carrots, & this does help with the germinate the seed.

tonijo, Jan 20, 4:13am
I have never had any luck either.Dad was surprised and turned up at my place with a packet of parsnip seed and sowed me two rows.Not sure what magic or dance he did but I have two rows of seedlings, pretty much all have germinated.He must have the touch.Mind you he won the garlic size contest this year too:-)I usually win, but he grew monsters.

guest, Jun 2, 1:18am
rzE9o1 pufpokailvkn

guest, Jun 2, 1:19am
LEHUYw ikapewexzuwn